Making Sarubobo doll
Sarubobo means “monkey baby,” and is the mascot of the Hida Region. Sarubobo dolls were traditionally made by mothers for their daughters as charms blessing happy marriage and smooth birth delivery. Sarubobo dolls also are said to prevent sickness and accident, due to the phonetic pair “saru,” which means both monkey, and prevention.
Flow of experience
- Decorating and finishing your doll
|Time required||10 or more people: about an hour
9 or fewer people: about 45 min.
|Number of participants||Up to 50 people (multiple rounds can be arranged for larger groups)|
|Available days||10 or more people: everyday except December 29th through January 3rd (8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.) 9 or fewer people: everyday except Thursday (facility is closed), and busy season|
|Fee||10 or more people: 1,300 yen per person (Hida-no-Sato admission fee not included)
9 or fewer people: 1,400 yen per person
|Making reservations||10 or more people: Reservation required.
9 or fewer people: No reservation required
|Requests||Children below 3rd grade should be with a parent.|
|Remarks||Foreign language available
Visitor Parking: Fee—Regular-sized car: 300 yen (250 spaces); Large bus: 1,000 yen (10 spaces)
Multipurpose toilet (Wheelchair accessible)
Facility info : Hida no Sato
- 1-590 Kaimi Okamoto-cho, Takayama City, Gifu Prefecture, 506-0055
- About 10 minute from JR Takayama station by Sarubobo bus (get off the bus at the Hida-no-Sato stop)
- Place of experience—More than 10 people: Hida no Sato
Less 10 people: Hida Takayama Omoide Taiken Kan hall (across from Hida no Sato)
Requests for enjoyable experience
- Please contact the facility directly for details and reservations in advance of the participation program.
- Please contact the facility about any changes to your reservation, as early as possible.
- Please arrange your own transportation to the program site.
- Program may be anavailable depending on the facility’s schedule. Please contact in advance to confirm program availability.
- Please note that details of these contents may change without notice.